Friday, February 24, 2012

Yogurt in the slow cooker

We are going through a lot of yogurt these days and the price adds up. So I've tried to make home-made yogurt and had some success (only one batch that turned a weird shade of green). This recipe caught my attention for it's ingredients and simplicity. From A Year of Slow Cooking.

Ingredients:
- milk
- plain, live culture yogurt

Instructions:
1. Place 8L of milk (I used Levi's homogenized) in slow cooker and turn to low and leave for 2 1/2 hrs.
2. After the times up, turn off slow cooker and let it sit for 3hrs, leave the lid on (no peaking).
3. Mix until well blended 2 c. of the warmed milk with 1/2 c. of a live culture PLAIN yogurt and add it to the slow cooker.
4. Put the lid back on and wrap the slow cooker in a heavy bath towel and leave it for 8hrs (I forgot and went to bed, but after 16rs it was still great.
5. Options: blend with fruit (will be runnier), add honey/syrup (for sweetening), strain through a coffee filter for a thicker consistency or serve on top of your oatmeal (like us).

Evaluation:
Husband: Flavor is very mild, but texture is nice. A little runny but not bad.
Levi: Is enjoying it on his morning cereal.
Me: This was so easy and even with my forgetfulness it turned out. I will definitely make this again.


1 comment:

  1. Just made this recipe again and totally messed up the times because I wanted to go to bed before midnight AND IT STILL WORKED!! It's such a gracious recipe!!

    ReplyDelete