Wednesday, August 17, 2011


I had some leftover salmon from the night before so it inspired my seafood quiche tarts. I served them for friends at a games night and they were a definate hit! I found the original recipe at http://novice-baker.blogspot.com/2008/09/seafood-quiche.html but here is the recipe with my personal revisions:

Phyllo dough pastry.

filling:
4 slices bacon cooked and chopped
1/2 c. cooked chopped spinach (and squeeze dry)
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely diced
4 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely diced
1.5 cups of cooked seafood (prawn, crab, salmon etc)
1 cup cheese (I used cheddar and parmeson)
4 eggs
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare your pie crusts. I used phylo dough coating each sheet with melted butter, layering 4 high and then cutting into squares for the muffin pans.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Saute onions in olive oil until soft and translucent. Stir in mushrooms, and cook until soft. Stir in cooked seafood and cooked bacon. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, combine spinach, sour cream, salt and pepper. Spread into pie crust. Layer with bacon mixture. Sprinkle cheese over quiche. Whisk together eggs, half-and-half and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and pour over pie.

Bake on middle shelf in preheated oven for 20 minutes. The top will be puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven, and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Next time I would try to omit the sour cream mixture. I think it would taste just as good without it.

1 comment: