-not be too time consuming
-not have too many ingredients
-be something we could eat fairly often
-not have too many ingredients
-be something we could eat fairly often
So I decided to roast a chicken in a slow cooker.
There are a million recipes out there for this, so here's what I came up with by picking bits and pieces from many of them.
1. Skin the chicken. Stuff the cavity with celery, onions, and carrots. Massage butter all over it and then sprinkle with Lawry's seasoning salt.
2. Put carrots, celery and onions on bottom of slow cooker. Make three balls out of foil for the chicken to rest on top. Pour one cup chicken broth over the vegetables to prevent the chicken from drying out.
3. Place chicken in slow cooker with the breasts down. Cook for 1 hour on high.
4. Turn chicken over and cook for 4 hours on low.
The chicken turned out beautifully; it fell off the bone as I was lifting it out of the crock pot! Plus, the drippings mixture at the bottom of the slow cooker made the BEST gravy.
There are a million recipes out there for this, so here's what I came up with by picking bits and pieces from many of them.
1. Skin the chicken. Stuff the cavity with celery, onions, and carrots. Massage butter all over it and then sprinkle with Lawry's seasoning salt.
2. Put carrots, celery and onions on bottom of slow cooker. Make three balls out of foil for the chicken to rest on top. Pour one cup chicken broth over the vegetables to prevent the chicken from drying out.
3. Place chicken in slow cooker with the breasts down. Cook for 1 hour on high.
4. Turn chicken over and cook for 4 hours on low.
The chicken turned out beautifully; it fell off the bone as I was lifting it out of the crock pot! Plus, the drippings mixture at the bottom of the slow cooker made the BEST gravy.
My notes from internet reading and experience:
*If you don't take the chicken skin off, it will slide off into the crock pot as it cooks. If the chicken is not on foil, then the chicken will cook in its own fat for hours. It will also make the drippings very greasy. (I did not skin the wings.)
*Many said to wrap potatoes in foil rather than foil balls. They can be part of your meal, too.
*You can use any kind of seasoning you want, so this recipe can be used to make all kinds of tastes. Next time I'm going to use thyme.
*Use the carcass to make homemade chicken broth - in your slow cooker!
*We ate chicken with gravy one night, leftovers for lunch, a Chinese chicken salad another night, and then chicken sandwiches for lunch. Four meals - that's one useful main!
**After roasting another chicken, I'd cook it for five hours on low. Incredibly juicy results.
*If you don't take the chicken skin off, it will slide off into the crock pot as it cooks. If the chicken is not on foil, then the chicken will cook in its own fat for hours. It will also make the drippings very greasy. (I did not skin the wings.)
*Many said to wrap potatoes in foil rather than foil balls. They can be part of your meal, too.
*You can use any kind of seasoning you want, so this recipe can be used to make all kinds of tastes. Next time I'm going to use thyme.
*Use the carcass to make homemade chicken broth - in your slow cooker!
*We ate chicken with gravy one night, leftovers for lunch, a Chinese chicken salad another night, and then chicken sandwiches for lunch. Four meals - that's one useful main!
**After roasting another chicken, I'd cook it for five hours on low. Incredibly juicy results.
What is Lawry's seasoning salt and what if I don't have it??
ReplyDelete